10.14.2011

o bla dee o bla daa


I've been pondering the importance of repetition in our lives. Of patterns, rhythms, multiplications. Once you start noticing them, they magically propel themselves out of the woodwork everywhere around you. The sound of waves, starting crashing, receding, starting, crashing, receding. The motifs on the sofa fabric. Stucco patterns on the wall. Shadows from the wood pergola falling on the ground. Breathe in, breathe out, repeat as needed.

This (rather uncharacteristically) deep mulling is the result of being obsessed with wanting to make a quilt. Specifically, one inspired by Yoshiko Jinzenji, whose book I recently acquired.


(no, that quilt made with over a thousand pieces, will not be attempted by me, I'd like to keep whats left of my sanity, thank you)
It got me thinking about how fundamentally similar the concept of making 2 dimensional fabric is, knitting, weaving, crocheting, its all just the sequential repetition of a code, and it is usually the point where the pattern breaks that the fabric develops a new identity.


















People who read this post also read :



2 comments:

  1. Can't stop thinking about the NYC landscape as a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew how to knit!

    http://fionaclare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete